Global Manatee Interest Soars – Thanks to China’s “Chimelong Ocean Kingdom” Winner of 5 Guinness World Records!
Visitors enjoying the Chimelong Ocean Kingdom theme park in Zhuhai, China. Photo: Stefan Zwanzger
Greetings! Here’s some record-breaking news that really makes a BIG Splash for you…
…The Chimelong Ocean Kingdom theme park located in Zhuhai, China is considered the world’s largest aquarium! It has “seven salt and fresh water aquariums,” holding a total of “12.87 million gallons of water.” And it has already earned five Guinness World Records, which are:
- World’s Largest Aquarium– Chimelong has “seven themed areas inside the theme park, each representing a part of the ocean, with a total water volume of 48.75 million litres (10.72 million UK gallons; 12.87 million US gallons) of salt and fresh water.”
- World’s Largest Aquarium Tank – “The tank itself has a volume of 22.7 million litres (4.99 million UK gallons; 5.99 million US gallons) of salt water.”
- World’s Largest Underwater Viewing Dome – “The Whale Shark Exhibit tank also features the largest underwater viewing dome, which has an external diameter of 12 meters (39 feet 4.44 inches) and is placed over a cylindrical structure built inside the tank.”
- World’s Largest Acrylic Panel – “Situated in the Ocean Wonders area of the park, the Whale Shark Exhibit tank features the world’s largest acrylic panel, which measures a massive 39.6 meters (129 feet 11.05 inches) by 8.3 meters (27 feet 2.77 inches).”
- World’s Largest Aquarium Window – “The massive acrylic panel also sets a record for the largest aquarium window. St. Louis-based consulting and design firm PGAV Destinations served as the product strategist, master planner, lead consultant, and lead designer of the 125-acre attraction on Henquin Island, near Macao.”
It took three years to construct Chimelong Ocean Kingdom. Mr. Al Cross, PGAV Destinations Vice President and project lead said, “Ocean Kingdom is world-class, delivering well-planned guest experiences, focusing on comfort and the quality of the experience. It has a really unique approach that blurs the lines between thrilling rides, great shows, and amazing animals. In fact, it’s one of the best efforts in Asia to create viewing interactions between people and animals.”
DiscoverChimelong Ocean Kingdom’s Manatee Exhibit
Chimelong Ocean Kingdom has its own manatee exhibit featuring the West African manatee. This manatee has a rather “long, streamlined body.”And just like the West Indian manatee and the Amazonian manatee, it doesn’t have hind limbs or a dorsal fin. You’ll also be able to view “over 60 rare fishes there, including the Chinese sturgeon listed as endangered with first class protection in China, the unique-looking arapaima, which originates from South America, and Chinese salamanders listed as endangered.”
If you are in Florida and you see a sick or injured manatee, please call the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission at: 1-888-404-FWCC. They are the folks who are responsible for rescuing us in Florida.
Here’s the Save the Manatee Club link to learn more about us manatees …
Here’s a cool link for you to learn more about how we’re rescued and brought into rehabilitation …
~ Kobee Manatee